Old 09-10-07, 11:45 AM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
There are no real formulas to calculate correct frame size. I'm currently riding a frame that is "supposed" to be too big for me. I tried out lots of frames that were supposed to be right, and they all felt too small. See Peter White's page on bike fit; I agree with what he say: it's all about your unique body geometry, and your unique preferences and comfort.

If you are comfortable riding your current frame, then it's fine. But if you're feeling cramped and adjustments (stem etc.) don't help - get a new one.
here is my experience... I bought a bike a year ago based on the sizing recommendations off of ebay...
the bike is nice but I extended the stem (because I like a more upright riding style than the default) and have enjoyed the bike for a year... about 2 months ago, I purchased a used trek 1220 that was too big for me (based on a comment by my LBS...). I did have to shorten up the stem and I did also extend it as well but I have enjoyed riding that bike... I recently went back to the original bike and took it for a spin... boy did the setup seem "cramped" and I seemed to have more weight on my hands so they got numb, etc...

so, based on that, I agree with you...