View Single Post
Old 09-10-07, 09:33 PM
edzo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sillywabbit
During truly intense exercise, i would consider skipping my dose beforehand.
skipping a dose of met beforehand won't do a whole lot. if you plan to adjust for riding you need to plan days in advance

steady state plasma concentrations of metformin are reached within 24 to 48 hours

skipping once won't really do much as the half-life is around 8 hours

anyhow only an endo with experience specifically regarding 'sport and athletes with diabetes' can give proper advice
to any individual...that and a phlebotomist in the side pocket

if you are very lucky and just a type 1 like me it is easy. just take insulin, test, and hammer. I have a slight
advantage (maybe...but certainly no disadvantage) over a normal person (but it takes time away from me to
manage and yeah I have a monkey on my back that if I ignore will kill me in 36 hours or less)

if type 2, get to 10% body fat, then recompute med needs. if you are not getting to 10% body fat
then you need to get there by eating less, plain and simple no excuses no magic trick... do it

if you have complications, other issues, immunosuppression therapy ...then just being able to ride
at all is a bonus...find a doctor willing to test you in a human endurance lab along with your meds
and try to dial them in for optimal performance without sacrificing what the meds are for

no one on the internets can offer better advice than: find a doc who makes it his/her hobby to
work specifically with athletes and increase performance.

Last edited by edzo; 09-10-07 at 09:45 PM.