View Single Post
Old 09-11-07, 08:32 PM
biknbrian

Bikes: BiknBrian brand custom 26 inch commuter trekker, Cannondale F600 Single Speeded MTB, Nashbar Cro-Mo CX, some other bikes and parts that could be made into bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matthew_deaner
After riding in the rain, I always take the chain off for a full cleaning in solvent. There are lots of opinions concerning chain cleaning - and my intention is not to turn this thread into a discussion resembling a religious dispute. But, in my opinion, the best way to remove the grit that gets thrown into your chain while riding in the rain is a solvent bath followed by throrough lubing.

If the rain was heavy or I rode through some standing water, I pull the seat tube and hang the bike upside down overnight to get water out of the frame. I always find a little water in there after a good downpour.

I also run a file over my brake pads to get rid of embedded grit, and clean the rims.

I don't know how anyone has the time to put this much effort into a daily use commuter. Me I just ride until my chain gets sticky and starts skipping occasionally, then I lube it. I might lube the wheel bearings when I change tires for the winter and spring. I buy a new chain every spring. Mostly I just keep a close eye on the condition of my bike until I predict an emminent failure and then replace what's about to break.