Old 09-13-07, 07:05 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
This is one of those issues that will require some careful input by both sides.

I drive in an area where the road crosses a trail that I also frequent on a bike and as such I am very aware of where the trail crosses this 2 lane country road.

I have almost never seen a car stop for the bicyclists (or the pedestrians either) dispite a yellow caution ped crossing sign and a white striped crossway painted on the road. Since there is a nearby creek that tends to mask out the noise of approaching cars,, it is necessary to stop (or slow to a crawl) and look for cars before riding through

On the other hand I usually approach this crosswalk at about 25mph in a 35 zone and am prepared to stop (probably putting myself in danger from the cars behind). I have noticed though that joggers or cyclists that do not slow down appear so fast at the crosswalk that even at 25mph and being prepared to stop that it is difficult to do so without sliding.

Poor crosswalk design, trees and bushes, a curve in the road and downhill. This requires all concerned parties to understand the crossing from both points of view.