View Single Post
Old 09-14-07, 04:23 AM
xB_Nutt
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by porq
That's a beauty. I'm a little afraid to ask, but will anyways: how much did that bad-boy set you back?
Thanks. The build would have been close to $2K, but I had a lot of the parts that I robbed from other bikes. I had to sell my Karate Monkey and if I ever can sell the Witcomb frame and wheels, I will break even.

Originally Posted by ks1g
Lovely bike! 2 quick questions:

tire size?

Your opinion on bar end shifters. I'm starting to build up a new commuter and considering either re-using some Ultegra brifters I have (need to replace the left shifter, which is busted) or going with bar ends. No experience with them myself.

Thanks!
Tires are 700 x 28c. Salsa says you can fit 700 x 35c alone or 700x32c with fenders.

I personally prefer bar end shifters to "brifters", but I tend to be a little old school. I think it is easier to shift from the drops with bar end shifters and you can fine tune the front dérailleur much easier with the left friction shifter with the triple chainring up front. I contemplated going with integrated brake lever/shifters for this build, but cost and the front triple made me decide to use the bar end shifters.