Old 09-16-07, 03:26 PM
Cyclist30907654
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SeventySeven
Well, I've been riding as a roadie for a while now. I own a Trek 2100 and Madone 5.5 (which I love, by the way). However, riding only on the ride has become, well, pretty lame. A couple weeks ago I went out with a few friends XC mountain biking. My friend let me borrow is Fuel (pretty much everything is Trek) and I have to say I was hooked. This by no means is going to make me stop road biking, just that I want to expand my horizons.

Now, I don't want to go overkill and buy what I don't need. I'm only 14, and I buy most everything myself, with the exception of my Madone (which I got as a Christmas present+the fact I got perfect marks in classes that were sophmores level versus 8th grade level). The only reason I'm considering buying another bike is becuase I sold a car for a neighbor for almost $15g's and got 3gs out of it (!).

I was considering a Top Fuel 8 or Ex 8/9. However, whats the difference between XC and XCR bikes? Is there a difference in performance vs. comfort? I'm already used to being crushed into unnatural positions, so I can do 100% performance/0% comfort.

I also know little about mountain bike parts. I don't know the fork companies, who makes the best discs, and what pedals offer the most mud clearance. I'd need you guys to steer me clear of the crap but save me from going overkill.

One more thing- Can XC bikes take small drops? I'd like to ride this thing around the city, and I could save 5 minutes by taking a droptastic to shortcut to school. The drops are about one or two feet high.

PS- I assume that SIDI Dominators are good shoes? I already own a pair, so that'd be convenient.

PPS- Can I use my Pneumo as a helmet? Is there any benefit as to having a full helmet/whatever?

First things first. If you want to "expand your horizons", you should look for other bikes than Treks. There's a lot out there, and theres a lot of complaints about Treks. Companies like Specialized (Stumpy FSR), Santa Cruz (Blur), Gary Fisher, all have Full-suspension XC offerings.

For forks, you want something from Rockshox or Fox. The F100 is an awesome fork. Rockshox's offerings are supposed to be decent too. Any MTB should be able to take 1-2 foot drops.

For disc brakes, you want something from Avid, Formula, Magura, etc. I've heard good things about Hayes higher level stuff but there are lots of complaints about their lower line.

If you're talking about bb clearance, that varies in the frame.