Old 09-21-07, 10:28 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by hollow
I don't think these are kickbacks or bribes...that would mean that you want them to turn a blind eye to crime. This is just the opposite...good community policing.

There's a local convenience store that is pretty busy, and I've noticed that cops will come in and get a soda or coffee and not be asked to pay...big deal. It's not like they're giving them major items. Plus, if I'm ever out at night and am in need of a police officer, that would be the first place I'd go. So it's not just good for the cops and the store, but for the public as well.
The store owners who provide free stuff are illegally purchasing additional protection. The store owners who choose not to provide gifts, or provide less attractive ones, are receiving less than their fair share of the tax dollar funded policing. No way around the ethical issue here, heck all of the business owners here accept that they are giving the cops perks in order to receive additional services, even if that service is their mere presence. Hire a security guard.

As for the "risking their lives" comments, policing is far from the most dangerous profession (not even close to top 10) and any crimes committed against them are almost certainly solved, unlike crimes against the general public. Just because the victim was a police officer should ethically have little to no influence.

To the police officers the onus is on you to turn down the gifts/bribes because nobody will enforce it. You know it’s wrong, let the payment for your sacrifice be honor and pride not some ill gotten free slush from quickie mart.