View Single Post
Old 09-23-07, 11:28 AM
Clownbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jnb-rare
I've been putting some more K's on the bike and enjoying it a lot. Swapping out the tubes seems to have solved the "slow leak" problem. I've installed the 95 gm '6' instead of the 65 gm '6A' tube. Considering that the difference in weight is about 2 ounces for both wheels, one wonders why Dahon (or anyone) uses the 6A tube. It really seemed flimsy in comparison.

I haven't had any punctures with the Stelvios yet (fortunately). I'll need to ride them some more to see if I get used to the way they feel, or if I want to try Marathon Racers or something else. Many years ago I had a racing bike with tubulars for a while. I had been coming from a full touring bike with a relaxed frame geometry and wide tires. So I know that it takes time to make the adjustment to a quicker setup. This time I'm going from a mountain bike to the Mu SL, so the change seems even more dramatic.
Next time you have the tires off, check the rim tape. I have had two Dahons that needed to have the thin rubber tape replaced with quality cloth tape. There have been quite a few folks complaining of tube damage from spoke hole sucking.

With a combination of cloth rim tape, thorn proof tubes, and Marathon tires, I've been flat free for over two years.