Twebs46

Bikes: Scott CR-1, Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
Well, sort of.

My old Nishiki hybrid (about 21 000 kms) needed a complete drivetrain overhaul. It had been to the LBS for similar treatment at about 11 000 kms. This time, I just bought the parts and did the job myself. A first for me. In addition to the drivetrain I took care of a bunch of other minor repairs that had been queuing up during the last weeks. It took me ungawdly amounts of time compared to any semi-competent professional wrench I'm sure, but I got it done during a couple of maybe 3-hour stints over the weekend.

This morning, I rode to work on what felt like a new bike. Sweeeeeet! It still needs a few tweaks (SPD pedal release adjustment and such), but I like the ride already. It's responsive, it shifts promptly, it feels like it stops on a EUR 0,20 coin, it does not creak, tick or howl anymore. All of this only proves I should have done things earlier, I know. But I'm one VERY happy commuter right now.

There were snags, of course. Biggest learning experience turned out to be front derailleur adjustment. Taking my old el-cheapo chain break tool against the old (IG) chain did result in spectacular breakage, but sadly the chain remained intact. I had to buy a new, better chain break tool to finish that job. And whereas a thin adjustable wrench used to be OK with the old Wellgo pedals, the new Shimanos needed the special pedal wrench. Oh well, all is good now.

I would not have been able to do it without all the info I have been collecting from here, Bike Mechanics and Barnett's manual. A big thank you to everyone is in order.

--J
Okay - now let's see some pics!

TW