Old 09-26-07, 01:27 PM
songfta
Cycling Skier

Bikes: 2019 Moots Vamoots DR, 2008 Pedal Force ZX3, 2006 Jamis Eclipse, 1997 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano double/triple brifters: how to get 'em to work properly

I've been building up my new bike (2006 Jamis Eclipse frame), where some of the parts are salvaged off my 2002 LeMond. The LeMond had a 105 9-speed triple group, and I'm using the brifters from that setup on the Jamis.

However, the Jamis has a compact double crank.

Shimano's documentation says that the 9-speed 105 brifters are compatible with both double and triple chainwheel setups, but I can't seem to get the right amount of cable pull with my double. Here's the situation:

- The derailleur has good lines for the small chainring (works well in all cogs on the cassette, with some trim available).
- On the big ring, I can't get the front derailleur cage to move far enough to the outside to keep it from rubbing when I'm in the highest 4 gears.

I've adjusted the limit screws on the derailleur to allow the cage to swing far enough to prevent rub, but the brifter refuses to pull that extra bit of cable. It seems to refuse to dial out the third chainring shift.

Any thoughts? I've found precious little documentation online on how to get this setup to work properly, and being a stubborn person, I'd rather do it myself than bring it to my favorite mechanic at the LBS.

Any advice you can give would be most appreciated! I'm itching to get out on my new bike....