View Single Post
Old 07-15-04, 11:55 AM
surreal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by progre-ss
Rob, where in NJ are you? Did you use someone local or ship your frame out to get done? Did you have to strip it yourself or did they include that in their price? The reason I ask is I can get it done at a place in Sparta (northern NJ...Creative Metal Works I think is their name)) and the guy quoted me around $80 just to powdercoat and perhaps another $70 or so to sandblast it. But the good thing is it could be done and waiting for me the next day. But I think they do more industrial type things like railing etc and may only have a minimum selection of colours at the ready. Thanks in advance!

James
james,
i'm in south jersey. the guy i went to is in franklinville, basically sorta close to atlantic city. waaaay out there. my friend and i took everything off our bikes, stripped the frames to bare metal, and tossed 'em in the brick and drove out to his shop. (my friend had a bmx frame powdered there a year ago, so he already knew the guy.) we picked the bikes back up in a week, and he did a really good job imho. most powdercoaters seem to be doing mostly industrial stuff; there're places that do mostly pretty/fancy stuff for motorbikes and bicycles, but these charge an arm and a leg. of the folks i talked to, the guy at pioneer was by far the cheeepest. he had maybe 10 colours in stock to choose from; he could order any of hundreds of colours, but that'd drive the price way up, as he can only order the powder in 5lb quantities, and he doesn't wanna be stuck with 4.8lbs of hott pink after he does one guy's bike frame. i lucked out, b/c he had some good ol' fashioned bright orange in stock; my buddy went with dark gray. the guy also can do wicked stuff with metal flake for like $30 more, if you're using a light colour. i suspect you're way up north, but here's the contact info anyway:

Pioneer Metal Finishing, Inc.
2034 Coles Mill Rd
PO Box 387
Franklinville, NJ 08322
Phone: (856) 694-0400
Fax: (856) 694-4597

this guy does mostly big, giant jobs, but he's happy to do the little ones, too. he can sandblast your frame for you, but it'd cost as much as the powdercoating would.

hth,
-rob