Old 07-15-04, 03:06 PM
Ric Stern

Bikes: Handsling AIROevo and CEXevo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Moistfly
I'm sorry but to anyone stating that protein intake after a workout is unnecessary, that's absolutely ridiculous. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me but you're body makes the best use of protein within 20 - 25 minutes of physical activity, after that span of time your muscles go into a catabolic state and recovery is greatly diminished.
unfortunately, you have this confused with carbohydrates. for e.g., see Jentjens et al., 2001

Also, although most people will get plenty of protein in their diet, it comes in such large amounts that it is not an effective measure of the useful amount of protein they're consuming in a day. The upper limit for the amount of protein any body can handle at any one time is 40g's. That means for 180lb person who should consume 145g's of protein a day they'd have to be consuming 4 meals that contain almost 40g's of protein each. That's something almost nobody does. It's much more realistic to break that into several "snacks" a day based around taking a protein supplement.
this isn't true

ric