Old 09-29-07, 01:04 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Cable replacement: I can't believe the difference!

I've been planning to replace my cables for some time. I ordered a set of cables -- Shimano Dura Ace just like those that came on the bike. The rear brake cable was rusty where I sweated on it -- but otherwise, they didn't really look like they needed replacement. So, I put it off.

Yesterday, about 15 miles into my ride, the rear derailleur cable broke. That forced me to do something about my cables. Replacing them was very easy. The hardest part was fishing out the head of the broken cable. The cable snapped about 1/4" from the head and the head was jammed inside the brifter.

On today's ride, I was AMAZED at the difference new cables made! Shifting was smooth, crisp, and effortless. A HUGE difference from the old cables. I never realized there was so much drag from my old cables! It gave me a whole new image of my old Ultegra derailleurs. It was like riding a new bicycle -- and one that seemed much BETTER than it was before.

This has taught me two things:

1. When people say that new cables are the best upgrade for a bike, they know what they're talking about. Very inexpensive. Very easy to do. I'm going to put my cables on a regular replacement schedule from now on.

2. Before upgrading to a new bike or new group, everyone should first replace the cables on their old bike. Old cables will make any new bike seem vastly better than your old bike. You can't do a reliable A:B comparison with old cables on your old bike. They really do make that much difference. A cable replacement might keep you from wasting money on an "upgrade" that isn't really an upgrade.