Old 09-30-07, 07:58 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
At last it was time to head out. I figured I would jump to the front partly because I felt obligate because I organized the thing, but mostly because I knew this was going to be my only chance to ride at the front all day.

I rolled out around 16-17 over to the first turn, then slowly we built up into the 20's. A little faster and I knew I was probably losing some people off the back. I pulled off to check up and that was as good as firing a starter's pistol.

I knew Recursive and shider were up front. I was able to see that CyLowe was in the back, and I had remembered he said he was going to sweep the first loop, so I figured this was going to be my only chance to hang with the front.

We had just come around a turn and the front accelerated like an NHRA dragster (top fuel). I was in no man's land with voldemort and iab. We half cobbled together a line - or so I thought - and put our heads down to drive. Somewhere in my mind I head popcorn popping. I looked back and no one was on my wheel. *damn*

So there I was...20-30 feet off of the rear of the lead group. They were chatting and generally having a good time. I was burning matches and selling my soul....and I wasn't going forward or back. It was hell. Street lights dimmed and my computer display cracked as I sucked every available watt of current from a 3 state region in my attempts to bridge that gap.

Finally I could feel the protection of the pack. It was as though I had lost 40 lbs instantly. Once tucked within the confines of the groups I felt happy and accepted. I would have followed the group off a cliff at that point if needed.

I love the first loop/ It has probably the most "scenic" travel out of all of the loops. It has this "sunrise glinting off of tractor reflected in the dew on the corn" kind of feel to it. Around the time I was beginning to appreciate that I received a call from CyLowe. He told me that kenal0 had a flat and they were WAY behind tha main group. He said he would lead them up to Marengo (rest stop) via a short cut to meet back up with everyone.