View Single Post
Old 10-03-07, 06:41 AM
zoeglassjd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by excitedidiot

1. Tires - I can tell this bike was sitting for a while, the rubber is pretty dry. What do you folks recommend?

2. Panniers/Trailer - I'm not set on either, although it appears panniers will be more economical. It seems to me that most pannier sets will be to small for me, I used to carring a 3600ci pack, but I could get my camping gear in less that 2000ci easily. I'm perfectly happy dirtbagging it on this ride, and if i can get really cheap panniers that aren't waterproof, I have no problem wrapping them in garbage bags.

3. Maps - Are these Adventure Cycling maps really worth 78.00? I had planned on using some atlas pages, along with some google maps, and I have someone I can call practically 24/7 to look up directions for me.

4. Cycling apparel - My local bike shop has far too much to comprehend. How much of this is a necessity? I allready have polypro shirts, and I bought a columbia wind/water proof jacket and pants at a thrift store. Do I really need cycling shoes? I am also planning to buy more clothing as I get further north.(It can get pretty cold in New England in December.)

5. Tool Kit - I allready have a multi-tool that fits every nut and screw on the bike(came with the bike)
. I figure I need a patch kit and a pump at the least.

So, my question is, if you had only $300 to buy these things how would you do it? Did I miss any essential piece?

Thanks for your help,

--Ryan
I am not a regular poster here but a habitual lurker, your post caught my eye, . First there is a great little interview with a guy from Pittsburgh re: touring on the cheap on dirtrag. I wouldn't recommend everything in it, but he shows how "stripped down" touring can be.

There is, of course, a lot to throw out here. First, spend decent money on a comfy helmet that fits, get a light set (front and rear), and do some good riding before your trip. Saddle time will make all the difference. I do think you will find that as you go three hours of riding a day will not be much as you get stronger (unless of course you want to keep it to 3 hours a day).

Maps: I generally use mapquest and more so maps from a road atlas/AAA. These can be cut up (or copied and resized), put together and home laminated. No need for $80 maps. Make a route and post it on Bikely.com and ask people around here what they think of your route. May get some helpful replies.

Tools: I would throw in a set of tire levers, a chain tool, a spoke tool, and patch kit to what you have. Also, cable ties can do wonders in a pinch. Consider fenders to get you on your bike the days it is raining.

Attire: fit and comfort. Shorts w/ chamois or gel may be nearly necessary. Although I have a friend who tours on a brooks saddle and cutoff dickies.

No need for cycling shoes. But I would recommend at least toe clips (cages on the pedals) which the c'dale may already have. (I prefer these on tour to clipless pedals 9 times out of 10)

I hope this is a good start to help. I am excited for you! Be safe.
zgjd