BruceBrown
Just Say No to 26" Wheels

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey/Gary Fisher Sugar 293

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzbomb
I'm just wondering if I'm the only one on this forum riding a 29"er. If there's any interest or response to this thread I'll post pics of mine, but has anyone else got one? Pics?
No, you're not the only one on the biggie hoops. ;-)

I ride a Surly Karate Monkey and just built up a new 2004 Gary Fisher Sugar 293 since I acquired the frame recently. The Fisher 293 is going on a maiden voyage trip in August and will see trail time on the Maah Daah Hey in North Dakota, some trails in Utah including Moab, trials around Tahoe and some trails in the San Francisco area. Can't really report on how she rides until that trip is completed. It's a big family trip to visit relatives/inlaws and we will be camping, biking, hiking and seeing the sights along the way.

I love the Karate Monkey and have been riding it in a geared set up (SRAM X.0) with Avid 185mm's. Rear drop out is horizontal and for a geared set up off road is not headache free while running disc brakes, but can be managed. It's the best climbing bike I have ever had the pleasure of sitting on.

I still have some 26" roots. I have two mountain bike tandems built on the 26" sized wheels. I have a Burley Koosah recumbent that uses a rear 26" sized wheel and the wife and kids are on the 26" sized wheels for their off road rigs. But my switch to the 700c wheels and the large volume tires (Bonty 2.2's) is a keeper. No way am I going back to the small wheeled off road experience. All it took was about a week of riding to convince me this was a much better experience for me.

BB