BruceBrown
Just Say No to 26" Wheels

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey/Gary Fisher Sugar 293

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eman
How many out there own a Surly Karate Monkey, and if so, what do you think? Are there any other good 29er options for under $1000? I am looking to ride on very hilly dirt roads and paths, surface quite bumpy but not ridiculous. I am very tall, 6'5, and 240. Thanks.
Sub $1000 is certainly possible with the Surly

I'm 6'4" and 200 riding an XL Monkey. I love the bike and I ride it with the rigid fork on terrain such as you mention. I don't miss not having suspension on this bike, but plenty of people ride a Surly Karate Monkey frame with a suspension fork and love it. The big wheels soak up so much of the hit that I am content running it rigid. Your description of terrain leads me to believe you would be happy running rigid as well. You could always get a suspension fork later, but keeping the project sub $1000 with suspension forks starting at about $350 will be hard to do.

Watch eBay for used Gary Fisher two niners. There usually are a few auctions each month that every now and then feature an XL size (what you need at your height) - and sometimes go for sub $1000. Custom frames will start at over $1000, so the Surly frame (you can find it online in black or green betwen $357 and $450+ depending on who you buy it from and what their markup is) built up with your own part choice is the easiest way to keep it sub $1000. If you get the frame/rigid fork shipped and at your door in the $400 - $420 range, that leaves you with some working room for the only other 29" specific thing you need - wheelset and tires. Drivetrain, brakes, saddle, seatpost (takes a 27.2), etc... are all standard equipment you can move over from your 26" bike to cut costs.

Or the Fisher X-Caliber (this year's model) was in shops for around a grand. Doubt there are too many left in your size, so the used market or "close out" market is the place to be looking on eBay, classifieds and searching the web.

BB