sixfingeredman
Shock 'N Awe Baby

Bikes: Trek 8900 sort of...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oroluk Lagoon
I'm looking for an inexpensive hardtail to ride during the half year or more that I live in Mexico. I may do some off road riding but I am mainly interested in riding roads and would buy a road bike but the roads around where I live are so rough (cobblestone, potholes, etc.) that I might as well be off road and feel I would be more comfortable on wider tires and front suspension.

One LBS here can order just about anything but they seem to like Merida and the prices are acceptable. I could get Trek or Specialized but considering that the bike might get stolen and will definitely have a hard life here, I'm not sure I want to pay the premium (they are both more expensive here than in the States).

So, anyone have any experience with Merida? I have visited their website but there's currently a bug in the bike list section. I understand they are a Taiwan/German company. Any comments pro or con appreciated.
I have not riden a Merida before, but I would not shy away from buying one if it was a better choice. Where I am now, a couple of LBS have a wide selection of them, and a very experienced rider/owner told me that they are comparable to the other brands depending on what level you buy. (I asked him the same question you did before I bought the bike I have now.)

As others have said before, all major manufacturers (Trek, Specialized, Merida) make crappy bikes as well as good bikes. SO you just have to discern if the one you are looking at is crap, or good. IF you are spending less than $300 US, then it is crap.. usually. If you are spending $300-500 you at entry level. So, depending on your needs, get what you can afford, and buy a lock.

Don't worry about Merida though, if you are buying in the price range I think you are, you will get just as good of a bike as a Trek or Specialized. Hopefully you will also get a better price. And I bet you won't have to wait for an order.