Weetbix

Bikes: 07 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mounting the Schwalbe Marathon

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to these forums. I've been reading them for quite some time, and decided to seek help with this issue.

I recently bought a new touring bike and decided the schwalbe marathon tyres would be a good choice of tyre. However I'm having some serious issues mounting these tyres, in other words I can't do it ! I've only ever really mounted road bike tyres in the past which I have found to be far eaiser to do, but these schwalbe tyres are so tough and rigid I just don't know how I'm going to mount them

Does anybody have any tips that could help me out? I've scoured the net and only heard people mentioning these are particularly nasty to mount, but little or no advice. I've tried dishwashing detergent to lube up the beads but it makes little difference.

The main problem I'm having is mounting the last 10-15cm of bead over the rim. I can't even get one side of the tyre on the rim at this point. It is impossible to do this with just my hands, I would have to be superman. So I tried using plastic tyre levers, the problem is as soon as I put the lever under the tyre and try to lever it over, both ends of the remaining piece just pop off themselves. If I try to go left to right or right to left, the other side just keeps popping off, and I end up going around in circles!

Please, I'm desperate, I really want to be able to mount these tyres in case I ever need to in future (which is possible), so I don't want to admit defeat and take it to my LBS