Old 10-07-07, 07:02 PM
viscountroller
can you say forkofdeath?

Bikes: 197? Viscount AerospaceGP, 2003 specialized hardrock crmo, not sure what year specialized fatboy vegas, diamond back photon(my first 2 wheeler haha), old schwinn that will soon be a fixie, red tricycle, 24in torker lx (unicycle)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fixed gear conversion; rear wheel and gear ratio question

So I have an old schwinn that is going to become a fixed gear. I want to spend as little money as I can right now to get it functional. I am going to build a new back wheel. I want to make the back wheel pretty nice, you may as well do it right the first time in this case. I am going 700c because i won't need to worry about a rear brake reaching and i have more selection in tires and rims. Also lighter and stronger than 27in(you knew that.) I am thinking a black Harris flipflop 36h hub. I originally was thinking nashbar flipflop hub because it is only $30 but it only comes in 32 spoke. I kind of wanted a 36 spoke rear wheel (is this necessary?, i want a strong wheel, and according to sheldon brown... idk.) Then I found the Harris hubs. They come in black and 36h and are $15 more which isn't too bad. For a rim I was thinking sun cr18. I found some site called kona sports(unrelated to kona bikes, as far as i can tell.) I don't really love places that sell everything, not just bikes. However, they have my 700c 36h sunringle cr18 for a good price.
And some double butted dt spokes
opinions?

ohh, and i like the crankset on the bike pretty well but i have to lose a chainring. There is a 40t and a 52t. I was thinking ditch the 40 and keep the 52. suggestions?

thanks-jack