SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xclam
I did my first Century this past Friday with five other friends. I felt really strong for the first 3 hours prior to the lunch break. We stopped at a great deli for sandwiches. I ordered a grilled corned beef sandwich which had 1lb of corned beef in it. Since I was famished after 3 solid hours of riding, I inhaled my food.

About a 1/2 hour into the second leg of the century I became very very thirsty. Within 1 hour I went through both my water bottles plus a third from one of the other riders. I noticed my energy level dropping and found it harder and harder to keep up with our paceline at 18-20mph.

Did I experience my first Bonk? My lungs were fine, but my legs felt like lead. Even spinning at a fast cadence could not relieve the lactic acid from my legs. If I did bonk, was it because of that great tasting sandwich?
No, you didn't bonk. You just screwed up your body by cramming it full of crap while you were trying to exercise.

FWIW, one pound of corned beef contains:

1136 calories (773 calories from fat alone).
443 mg of cholesterol (149% of the recommended daily limit)
5141 mg of sodium (213% of the recommended daily limit)

And that's just for the corned beef itself!

Why would anyone want to cram down all that fat and salt? It's gross just thinking about it.

No wonder Ohio is the 13th fattest state...