View Single Post
Old 10-09-07, 12:54 PM
orcanova

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am now NO LONGER a crippled old man :-(

Feeling pretty sad, now...I "blew a disc" in my lower back on Sunday. Nothing fancy, just getting up out of a chair. I can hardly walk, orthopedist has me at home, on a walker, and on pain meds.

He will x-ray and do an MRI next week to see the severity of it. I asked about road cycling, and he said I will probably get back to that point, but won't be on a bike for 7-8 weeks at least. I had a slightly bulging disc for a while now, most likely from carrying all my camera gear every day and all the abuses from my career over the years. He said it is probably not ruptured. I am not sure when he meant by blown, so I think it is just a more serious aggravation of it than previous aggravations.

I was feeling this bizarre sensation in my right leg the day before. It felt like my cell phone was vibrating in my pocket, and I would reach down to answer it, but it wasn't buzzing, it was just nerves in my leg.

It is really deflating and when I envision being on my bike, in top form, dancing on the pedals, it seems so far away now and I am just hoping that when I get over this there won't be any major limitations or compromises to my road biking as I know it. That is what really has me bummed because road cycling is the love of my life, and I want to be ab le to get back to the point where I can beat myself up on the bike and challenge myself without limitations from an injury or a condition.

To add to the challenge, I expect to be travelling on the campaign trail alot for work in the upcoming year, which can be very physically abusing as well for a photographer. I wonder how I will be able to manage getting back to good form on the bike and be able to handle the demands of being on the campaign trail without compromising my back more along the way. That is a tall order to fill. I hope I am up for the task.

He said the road back to riding will involve an elliptical trainer, a recumbent bike or exercise bike, and a gradual return to the road bike. I told him I have an elliptical trainer, I just bought a recumbent bike for my wife, and I have a stationary trainer for my road bike. I'm going to do all I can to have a great recovery, and I am determined to come back stronger than before, but it really just sucks and I am sad now..

Last edited by orcanova; 10-15-07 at 03:17 PM.