View Single Post
Old 10-09-07, 01:19 PM
Jeffbeerman2

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Jeff: That fenix light is intriguing, but can you adjust its beam at all? It seems that it would cast a very narrow shaft of light.
It is just slightly more narrow than my Dinotte 5w, and just a tad brighter. I wouldn't call it narrow.

The beam width isn't adjustable

from my experience, a light does two things for you. It lets you be seen (which any cheap led will do) and it warns you of hazards in the road ahead in time to react. You need a powerful beam to be able to look ahead far enough. I like a beam that is a bit more focused because I ride mostly on city streets where there are a few streetlamps and some light pollution that allows some minimal visibility. A bright spot on the road in my path warns me when there is a pothole or bump in the road ahead, and if you have a light that is powerful enough you shine it a bit further ahead, which spreads the beam anyhow. I slow down if I'm on a completely unlit street, even if I'm running both the fenix and the dinotte at the same time.

If you made me choose between my $60 fenix and my $170 dinotte I'd choose the fenix in a heartbeat.

Keep in mind that if you buy the fenix, you'll be spending about $20 more on 4 Nimh batteries (two in the light, two backup) and a charger, which brings this setup near your $100 limit. Most light setups include the battery/charger/mount.

On the subject of halogens. My first setup was a 12w halogen with a bottle battery (I spent about $120 on it 5 or so years ago, can't remember which brand). It takes a big battery powering a 10-12w hallogen to get near the light output of lights like the fenix, and runtime still stinks. I found myself leaving the light setup at home when I had a big bulky battery to carry, unless I was sure I'd need it. On several occasions I'd have to choose between riding in the dark or leaving someplace earlier than planned because of my light situation. The fenix fits in your pocket, it's only a bit larger than the two AAs that power it. That is a big plus when winter gets closer and you arent sure about your lighting needs, you just always have it with you