Old 10-09-07, 01:29 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
I can give you a couple of weight comparisons. Keep in mind, Surly's are welded, and are of 4130 chromoly steel, with double butted main tubes I believe:

Claimed weight of 58 cm Surly LHT frame:
5.15 lbs. Let's call that 5 lbs, 2 1/2 ounces.

Actual weight of 58cm 1983 Schwinn le tour luxe frame, lugged construction of plain gauge 4130 chromoly steel:
5 lbs, 8 ounces.

Claimed weight of 56cm Surly Crosscheck frame:
4.73 lbs. Let's call that 4 lbs, 12 ounces.

Actual weight of 56cm 1983 Centurion Pro Tour touring frame, lugged construction of Tange Champion #2 double butted steel(a very nice proprietary Tange chromoly). One of the lightest tubesets from the '80's that was used on true touring bikes. The frame is also fully chromed beneath the paint, which I believe adds a few ounces:
4 lbs., 13 ounces.

These weights make perfect sense if you think about it. The lugs themselves add a few ounces over a welded bike, and again, the chrome on the Centurion Pro Tour may add a little as well, otherwise it would probably be a bit lighter frame than the Crosscheck. But the bottom line is that the Surlys are just what you would expect from frames of rather unspectacular double butted 4130 chromoly, no surprises in the weight department and sturdy as heck for their intended purposes.

Last edited by well biked; 10-09-07 at 06:55 PM.