View Single Post
Old 10-10-07, 01:07 AM
Newspaperguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your distances are pretty much the same as mine. And the winter temperatures you've mentioned are similar to the coldest winter temperatures I'll have to face. I don't have trouble getting around town without a car, even in winter. However, there will be some adjustments you'll make as you go car-free.

The cold isn't that big of a problem as long as you can dress for it. Check the winter cycling thread. Also go to a shop that sells outdoor gear and have them help you prepare for winter riding.

A potentially bigger problem will be balance and safety when you're riding on snowy or icy roads. I've found wide tires are a good idea. If you have a lot of ice, you can get studded tires.

It's a good idea to have a winter bike if you get snow and ice. The reason for this is the salt on the road can wreak havoc on a steel frame and the sand mixture is mean to your chain and drivetrain.

Also, make sure you're visible. Winter days are short and nights are long. You'll need a headlight, tail light and a reflective vest.

For the first year, give yourself permission to drive if necessary. Going car-free or car-light is a big adjustment and a huge learning curve, especially when it involves rough weather cycling. It's okay to go into it gradually.