Old 10-11-07, 02:01 PM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Bikes: -

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You didn't have this "healthy respect for cars on the roads" until you actually started driving(at the age of 16)and knew what it is to drive a car.Hopefully you were riding bikes long before then.Kids have been running the roads by themselves for years.It would be up to you(as the parent) to teach your kids to be road smart.
I agree though that everybody at some point would need to rely on a car for transportation(taking the pet to the vet,kids to doctors' appointments,etc).Just not neccessarily your car.I've got friends that will drive me somewhere if I need use of a vehicle,or I take a taxi or transit.
Now, I'll have to admit that I'm not a teenager anymore(most people might say I still act like one).I drove cars for 20 years and have owned over 140 of them in that time(mostly antique and vintage).I have been carfree for the past 12 years and don't miss driving(I don't even have a licence anymore)at all.I have ridden the last 12 winters in Ottawa and I'm here to say it is more than doable.
I feel that society as a whole has become too comfortable and lazy.
Just look at the numbers of overweight people(adults and kids)!