View Single Post
Old 10-13-07, 05:43 AM
alters

Bikes: Raleigh M-Trax - 80/90s? Goldtec flipflop rear hub + Mavic rims modified for some extreme road commuting;Raleigh 531 1970s? - Ultegra set up - wrecked by a motorist! Looking for new frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geoffrey Butler frame

I got knocked off my bike in Brixton a few weeks back and my bike was wrecked - although I'm fine!

Hopefully, the drivers insurance will be paying out, so I'm looking for a new frameset to transfer my Ultegra groupset to that. Looking to spend about £500 (max £600) on frame and forks maybe 2nd hand.

I ride in london and can secure my bike in a garage at work so on street secruity is not an issue, but durability is due to the terrible condition of South London roads. I don't club ride (yet) but do clock up 50-100 miles p.week. I'm not too worried about weight - my last frame was a mint cond, 1970s(?) Reynolds 531. I enjoyed the steel frame and I always thought the weight was good training for when I did upgrade plus with an Ultegra set up riding was a joy.

I've got a fixed/single speed too so I want to move my geared bike to a more modern frame but really enjoyed the individuality of my last bike and the pride of building it myself.

Wondered if anyone has any suggestions and what you thought of the ideas/links below:

I got my insurance quote from Geoffrey Butler and they suggested one of their own frames, which is heavily reduced. I know GB have a pedigree for track and in the past steel frames, but not sure about their new own brand stuff. What do you make of this reduced frame (the Carbon 7 one):
http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?...e&wce=GBFRAMES

Alternatively was thinking of a Trek 5200 OCLV - popular choice and lots 2nd hand, but not sure if I'd rather have something more unique?

I've also looked at Bianchi, but are the less expensive frames (i.e. in my budget) any good or would I be better off with some thing else rather than paying for the brand?
But that said, I've seen a Freccia Celeste Frameset from 2005 heavily reduced to within budget.

Any help would be very appreciated

Thanks