Old 10-13-07, 07:10 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Here is the link to the Amtrak Website. They sound remarkably accomodating in print but watch the language for the "check availability" and "certain trains" and "certain cities".

I don't think you can take even a folder on the Acela express- has anyone managed this?

As for the letter writing campaign to Congress- great idea but those of us in the Northeast already have elected officials that support Amtrak funding. I'm sure my congressman, Barney Frank, and my senators, Kerry and Kennedy would appreciate my encouragement for their votes in favor of more Amtrak funding but unless there is pressure directly on the service provider there is no way to measure the degree of need. Knowing that accommodating bikes on trains might increase ridership is exactly what Amtrak officials need to hear. I suggest letting Amtrak know via letter or email.

And in many cases it comes down to a judgement call on the part of a ticket taker or a conductor and most of them seem clueless as to the policies and tend to immediately dismiss cyclists.