spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jcm
I agree with spinnaker about saddle choice being subjective. Perhaps no other component is as thoroughly discussed...or, disgust, as the case may be.

However, I respectfully disagree with the sitbone width issue being described as nonsense. I think it's absolutely critical to understanding a most important aspect of the interface between you and the whole experience. For one thing, if you know what your ischial width is, you can go directly to saddles that may fit you - Brooks or not. I had no idea when I started riding. So, I accumulated a ton of saddles that aren't worth diddly squat - although they represent a lot of hard earned cash spent.

Now, some of this has benefitted me, who has scrounged really good bikes from yard sales for $25 just because the owner says, "I stopped riding because my butt hurt."
I never meant to say that the width is nonsense. What I meant was that the claim that you must sit on your sit bones to have comfort is nonsense. Certainly sit bone width is important, if your choice is a hard saddle. And probably somewhat important to find the sweet spot in a gel saddle.