Old 10-17-07, 09:35 PM
ericgu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kring
Cyclezen: here's my info:

I'll do a detailed calorie intake sheet this week, it's possible it's more, I am only rough estimating. I will comment back with my details. I went from 230 to 190 in about 9 months, then as I mentioned it's been about a year at this 190... the weight did come off steadily during the loss, and even at that time I wasn't doing the same caloric burn, I've improved considerably.

your second comment on Consistency makes sense... I will drop 5 over the course of a week and then gain it back quickly, it's like my body has the memory you are talking about and it does everything it can to get me back, I hit 182 about a month ago so I took a week off sine it was a 8K calorie burn week and next think I know I was back at 190 in 5 days. it's a yo-yo between 185-190.. I think this may be something significant that I need to be a little more consistent...

I measure my burn by a polar F55 heart rate monitor. I ride avg heart rate at 165-170 and max 190. I'm in a very hilly area in Central/northern Connecticut, I do moderate hills since I have yet to find a flat within a 20 mile radius of my house. Most my weekday rides are 1 hours and I cover 16-20 miles. on the weekends I'll either do a 35-40 in 2 hours if I did well during the week, if I had to skip a ride or two I'll do a 60 mile ride in just under 5 hours since I need to pace myself a little more. On the 1 hour rides I'll typically burn 700-800 calories according the the HR monitor.

I'll keep up the weights and go a little heavier, I've had a few other people tell me the same thing, and that should burn calories even after the workout stops. And since it's getting cold I'll try switching up and doing some running rather then stationary.

A few have mentioned that maybe I'm running to high a heart rate and that my body isn't burning fat, I'm out of the fat zone? any thoughts on that?

Again, thanks everyone for the comments.

And Good luck Cyclezen!
Two thoughts...

I think the polar overestimates calorie burn - or, at least, my 720i seems to overestimate for me.

I do think that riding too had can compromise your training, but I don't think that it's the major factor. Though I do think that riding hard all the time isn't a great thing to do.

You don't mention your on-bike or recovery nutrition at all. If you keep your glycogen topped up and get a good recovery drink, that can do wonders to keep you from getting too hungry.

I also suggest trying to ride in two-hour blocks rather than one-hour blocks - you will get more efficient fat utilization.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com