Old 10-20-07, 09:02 AM
MulliganAl

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tarmac with Mavic ES wheels, 2009 Specialized Hardrock, 2014 Rivendell Sam Hillborne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
He's unlikely to be of any use unfortunately.

Why?

He's young for starters. He has no comprehension of what age does to a body and while you may not feel old, there is no way you'll be as fit or as flexible as you were in your twenties unless you've worked hard at maintaining it.

He's a racer. You aren't doing racing ... yet. Training for racing is a subset of cycling, yet too many young people consider it the be all and end all. It's not, if anything, it's an aberation, though many old timers get drawn into racing. However, for them, it's different to the resilient body of the youth.

He's a racer and hence understands racing bikes. In all probability, a racing bike is the last thing you need to inflict upon yourself. Many road bikes share many attributes of racing bikes and indeed, look the same, but are different animals and the 'racer crowd' don't understand that.

Get thee in with a mob of old pharts of similar vintage and similar physical condition. Their choice of mount may horrify you (as it would the young man you refer to), but they've usually made their choices based on what works as opposed to amount of flame they'll cop in roadie forums. Maybe a full on, carbon fibre racing machine is the brute for you, but it's more likely it's not. The young have a lot of knowledge, but they lack the experience of their body falling short of their aspirations.

Richard
Thanks for the feedback Richard.

I got a different feeling from this young guy because I met him when he was getting ready for a late night ride with a group or riders that actually had a number of guys in it that were in their mid 50s (very good riders though). I have always loved speed, hence my 100mm speed inline skates that I currently skate on, so I think I'd be bored if I purchase a bike that didn't offer a certain degree of speed.

Perhaps I'll talk with him then find a way to talk with the guys in this late night group that are in their 50s; they would definately understand the body changes we deal with over time and would ultimately be a better source of information.