View Single Post
Old 10-21-07, 10:35 AM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bars are a standard Nitto and for the seat post I am going to custom make one from a combination of a modern micro adjustable and a piece of 7075 T-6 aluminum bar stock. I'll turn it on the lathe and then cut off the new post leaving enough to insert the custom sized piece and have a friend of mine weld it and then put the whole thing back on the lathe and clean up the weld so it won't even be noticeable (at least thats the plan) the rims are alloy I bought from an e-bay store and installed a Shimano hyperglide 5 speed freewheel. The brake levers are actually NOS I have some hoods (I bought them from Loose Screws P. B.) but not sure if I want to install them. If you look in the background you can see the Freddy Fenders in the aluminum finish hanging on the wall. I bought them but still not sure I want to install. I guess I'll see how they look. I'm pretty ambivalant about that RD but man that thing sure shifts nice even though its a really cheap unit. I have a RD on an old bike a buddy of mine gave me that I'm going to clean up and see if it might work but right now I want to get this bike on the road and see how it works. The FD is a combination of the old derailleur which was really nicely chromed and a NOS newer Schwinn approved unit that I took the shift cage off and installed it on the old unit. It really shifts nice with the new crankset. I need to get some brake pads cause the old ones are glazed over, probably get some koolstops but may use what ever I can get fast. I really didn't care too much if this bike looked bone vintage I which is the reason I went for the micro adjust seat post. I will probably tinker with this bike most of the winter till I get it right. Part of the coolness factor it that the cable housing is actually a dead on match for the powdercoat but it doesn't show up that well in the pictures. anyway I'm already looking for a lugged frame to start working on when this project is done. I think I'll sell the green Varsity but not till next Spring.

Last edited by stringbreaker; 10-21-07 at 10:42 AM.