Old 10-22-07, 09:01 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Started a hair late but I'm glad I turned back at the deli station before bear mountain cause the headwind coming back sucked but I still made it back around 4. Nearly bonked on the way back after doing the last 50 miles on a bottle of gatorade and 2 gels after having squandered all the money in my jersey pocket on illegal narcotics. I'm not sure if those 2 took the train home or what after bear mountain.
After thinking we were going to turn back at Nyack.... we ended up meeting the guy on the red and white trek, and went to Bear Mtn anyhow, convincing ourselves it was ok because we would take the train back.

Mazaev has been working hard... he stopped to take pics going up Bear Mountain... the came whizzing by my like a freight train. His climbing is really improving. He said he paid the price on the way back though... that the attack left him wounded from the Nyack climb all the way home.

We made it to Bear Mtn around 1:40... sat and enjoyed the view and the crowd then decided to ride back rather than take the chance on the bike passes for the train.

Taking off late, at 2:30... We stopped at the same deli on a 5 minute splash and go... I think I got 32 oz of Orange Juice and chomped down a clif bar. We ride the rest of the way back without stopping, straight down 9W bypassing Nyack and Piermont. We made it back in time to watch the sunset as we rode down the west side path.

It was a tough ride back... we cut the pace back just barely enough to make it sustainable and did the whole way back without any real stops. The whole day was a moving avg of 15.5 mph, compared to the 14.0 we were doing earlier in this year. Not terrible for a day with so much climbing.