View Single Post
Old 10-24-07, 05:51 AM
bigjim1

Bikes: 2 Raleigh Sprints. 1 Saracen tourer. dawes Galaxy, 1985 Harry Hall racer, 1991 Raleigh Special Products 853 Race bike. 1985 Raleigh Royal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can really identify with this guys problem. I recently applied for a newly created position at work. Much of it is what I am already doing and have been doing for 15 years. They gave the job to a guy of 24 [we were interviewed by 2 women. One who dislikes me anyway] who has only had one job and graduated 2 years ago. They said that he was the better candidate. After a huge row I walked out and my doc gave them a note saying I was suffering from work related stress. I am now thinking of opting for retirement. No pension till 65 and then only a useless basic state one. I have a beautiful partner who is totally supportive whatever I do, loves her job and we will have enough funds to live a simple but comfortable life until god willing I reach the age of 80. After that we will still own our property that we can sell and live a decent lifestyle in a rental. Here in the UK we have the protection of free health care. Can be slow but it works, so I don’t see that as a problem. Each day I think should I go back to work? 60 mile a day commute, job that is 30% stultifying boring and at least one power mad, ageist, sexist [not the new one, but other 31 yr old, I have 2 managers] girly graduate manager. My big boss over the whole department wants me back as they are struggling without me but others have treated me like s..t. Mostly because of my age. Job is decently paid but I don’t need that level of income to live. I think it is a gamble. How long have you got? Do you make the most of it while you can? Different if you love your job and enjoy each day. I just miss the company and will need to build a routine that I enjoy to fill the days. At work you cannot choose the company that you have to spend your days with. At my age [59] the days become more precious. Good to get that off my chest. Not made a decision yet. Any advice?

Jim