Old 10-24-07, 09:50 PM
well biked 
biked well

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by moooink View Post
Also, understand that the spindle will be submerged in water at depth. A sealed spindle would obviously be better for this type of application. I am under the influence that US spindles are unsealed and euro spindles are sealed? Is that correct?

If this is serious, I would recommend you buy a bottom bracket shell, or fabricate one. It's part of a bicycle frame; it's the short, threaded tube on the frame that the bottom bracket (with spindle) is put into. The most common size shell is 68mm, measured end to end, and "English threaded," which means the right side is reverse threaded to prevent the bottom bracket from unscrewing from the shell, and the left side has the threads going in the normal direction. Weld the bottom bracket shell to something in the submarine (can't believe I just typed that), and then install a catridge bearing bottom bracket into the bottom bracket shell to attach the crankarms to. Bottom brackets are available with various spindle lengths, and they have to match the crankset you use in that the crankarm/spindle interface have to match (square taper, ISIS, Octalink, etc)...........But submerged? You're gonna have to engineer around that and keep it relatively dry, no bottom bracket assembly, at least one intended for bicycles, is going to be watertight when completely submerged.

Last edited by well biked; 10-24-07 at 10:29 PM.