View Single Post
Old 10-25-07, 08:35 PM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I still can't agree. I tend to avoid "driver" altogether, in favor of just "motorist" or "cyclist". If I mean both, I usually say something longer but clearer, such as "car drivers and bicyclists alike".

I do this because I believe, as I think you do too, that the most appropriate way to approach riding your bike in traffic is with the same attitude of caution, consideration, and observance of laws as you do driving a car, if not more. This should be notch up from the relaxed attitude you will probably have out for a leisurely recreational ride in a park or on a path. Therefore, at least for myself, I consider it important to remember that when on the road, I am driving, on my way to somewhere, not just out for a nice ride. Driving means you are paying more attention and taking it seriously, as you need to on the road.

I think it also goes hand-in-hand with the traffic/vehicle terminology. Most people don't think of bicycles as equal vehicles to cars, or of me on my bike as an equal road user. I think they should, and I want the words I use to be consistent with that. So I am a driver, just like the motorists, in my vehicle of choice, which happens not to include an internal combustion engine.

Apologies to everyone else for the slight thread hijack.