SaiKaiTai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Third time's a charm?

That's what they say, isn't it?
A few months back, I set out to do my first 40 miler
This one, in fact, from Montara to the top of Stage Road.

and just ran out of time. I made it as far as that dip at the 16 mile mark and had to turn back.
I wasn't really ready for that last climb anyway, truth be told.

Last week, I set out again and -nope- my FD broke and that was that.
So, I gave it another shot today and did I make it this time?

Well, there it is

Here's a few of the last 5 miles before the turnaround. This would be the easy way.

I could've gone that route but, when there's a little detour that throws in a nice set of rollers, why would I? You know me; it's all about the hills, baby.

Yeah, small time stuff, I know but it all counts.

Anyway, yes, I made it up to Stage Road and that last little climb proved to be a tester. A mile and a half up at 5.5%. I was fighting my HR and finally took a quick break about .6 into it, then I was fine. I don't know, pacing is still an issue. One big problem I always have heading down Highway 1 is the urge to try to keep up with the cars passing you at 40-50 mph. I'm heading down this long, straight stretch of road and the cars make me feel like I'm crawling. I finally do convince myself that this an endurance event, not a race but I wonder how much energy I waste in the first 5 or 6 miles?

And there's always time for pie

Did I make it? Oh yeah Oh, and with one downhill run at 39.7mph. The LeMond just handles like a dream "at speed".

Now, truth be told, I wouldn't say I was totally cooked at the 42.7 but I was ready to head home. Only another 7.3 miles for 50 but it wasn't gonna happen today, I was done. But I sure feel good now.