Old 10-28-07, 07:27 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hmmmm a few Johns are posting at the moment.

While I think that some of these other objectives are worthwhile and can be addressed somewhat with cycling, they are not synonymous with cycling advocacy. They can be used to garner more resources towards cycling and attract more cyclists, but I think that it can also be a distraction from basic cycling advocacy and result in some unrealistic (and undesirable by some reasonable standards) demands.

I am no wild fire expert, but my understanding is that the severity of this year's wild fires is due to US policy regarding fighting all forest fires without the understanding that small fires are part of the natural cycle.

I also think that there are a lot of environmental doomsayers that--naturally since I called them "doomsayers"--overstate the probability and consequences of various environmental "disasters". Mind you, I am not stating that there are no consequences. But that our response as a society should be proportional to the problem and in consideration of other societal problems such as poverty, health care, education, and so on.