Old 10-28-07, 12:49 PM
jss273nyc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Curve SL or Swift Folder...

Hi guys,

It's been a long time since I've posted, but after spending almost two years with my Dahon Helios P8, it was finally stolen last Monday. I usually fold it up first before locking the bike so as to deter anyone from stealing it, but was in a rush and forgot to do this. While I'm a little upset, my Helios P8 served me well and was getting a bit long in the tooth because I used it to commute every day. I'm not sure if this is endemic to the Helios line, but I found the frame to be a bit creaky and squeaky. I always thought that it was due to the Re-bar frame.

As upset as I was to loose such a faithful workhorse, I was also excited at the prospect of getting a new bike. Two years back, I was really drawn to the Swift Folder and almost purchased one, but the folding aspect really was an issue for me. I live in a small apartment so space is at a premium. Folding aside, they seem like great bikes.

I initially test drove a Brompton, but was really turned off by the squirrely ride. Granted, it was a fairly windy day, so it wasn't the most ideal condition, but I felt for the price, the ride wasn't confidence inspiring. I still love the look though.

When I initially set out to get a folding bike, the Mu SL had attracted my eye, but delivery of the bike wasn't guaranteed for many months. I have since fallen out of favor with the bike, because in person, it doesn't seem like the right proportion to me from a style point of view.

That being said, there is something about the Curve SL that seems just right. I really like the look of the bike, however, I wondering if having even smaller wheels than the Brompton will produce an even squirrelier ride. Can Schwalbe Big Apples be that good? Will the Curve SL produce a "slower" ride than the Helios? (I do like going fast along the West Side Highway bike trail on occassion.)

So my dilemma is this, should I go with my original wish of getting a custom made Swift Folder from Peter despite my ever persistent fold size concern or should I check out the Curve SL? Thanks guys in advance for your advice.