Old 10-29-07, 04:47 AM
lgraba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alzonder
I have a creak in my saddle which seems like it's coming from a pedal.
+1

I've had a creak for some time. Earlier this summer, I found a crack in the bottom bracket shell, so I swapped out the frame, expecting this to be the problem, but the creak remained. Last weekend, as I was riding along, CLUNK, the seat post broke right off! It broke on the post, but just below the bracket that holds the seat rails. About 5 inches of post were still sticking out of the frame. I'm very happy that when it broke, I was able to catch myself before sitting on the post; it looked very intimidating!

So, I rode home standing, then went to the bike shop to get a new post. I installed the post, went for a ride, and no creak! My speculation is that the creak was caused by a crack that was slowly getting bigger.

As to why the post would break, I'm speculating that this is because I have the seat pushed all the way back, so that all of the weight that I put on the saddle is behind the seat post, so that there is considerable torque on the post. Still, I would hope it would be strong enough to handle this. After all, this is a road bike, not a mtn bike.