View Single Post
Old 07-31-04, 01:11 PM
Tom Pedale

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fud24682000
Hi,
I'm all for cycling--A close relative was the first Canadian to ride from the US west coast to Ontario, following railroad tracks. I recall his stories of "riding the century" in Canadian dirt roads, etc.
I'm a senior citizen living in a N. California city, on a street many cyclists use to ride to the back roads. Frequently when sweeping pine needles off the sidewalk, or trimming tree branches, a cyclist will whiz by me before I know he/she is there. On a narrow & busy street, I know they can't swerve into the street to have clearance from where I'm working, so...
This is more a courtesy issue than a safety one, but I don't want tree trimmings to fall on someone's head, or sweep pine needles into someone's bare legs when I don't see or hear them coming. If bells or horns are considered too lame or whatever, how about a shout to me to look out when I have my back to the direction you're coming from?
Thanks,
Ray Mac
fud2468@att.net
In an ideal world, everyone would use their turn signals, say "excuse me" or not use the parking spaces for the disabled if they're not entitled to them. Cyclists as a group probably follow the norm of society as a whole with some members being more courteous than others. For myself, I try to be sensitive to the type of situation you mentioned, but I know I don't comply 100% of the time. Your post is a reminder to me to try and think about the non-cyclist's point of view more often.