Old 07-31-04, 03:56 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I think the common statement, "On your left (right)" is very confusing to pedestrians and even to beginning cyclists. It gives no information as to what to do next to the hearer. Sort of:

Bicyclist: "On your left."

Pedestrian: "So what?"

How about a "Passing left" or "Passing on your left." which at least gives an indication to the hearer that perhaps they should move right or at least stay the course.

I remember a couple of years back yelling, "On your left" to a neophyte (of course, I didn't know that at the time) bicyclist, who, in response to my command of "left" simply kept moving further to the left, causing me to have to go out in the grass to get around her. I later learned she was just learning to bike, and no one had explained "on your left" to her.

."
s
Denver fox is right. On the bike path, I'll often say "Excuse me" when passing roller bladers, pedestrians (who shouldn't be there anyways), or non-roadies. Roadies know what 'on your left' means, but most people don't. It means nothing to them. However, everyone understands "excuse me". ALthough I wonder these days because people seem to have such rotten manners. However, at least it means more than on your left. OF course, there are plenty of roadies who whizz by without announcing themselves, and that annoys me because they really should know better. Unfortunately,some still don't but most are mindful of others. THe ones I find are the worst are inexperienced bike riders, the casual kind who just ramble around and don't pay attention, especially the older hippie types on beatup old bikes. I see them around here and they still seem to think that rules are for the establishment ,so they ride on sidewalks, or down the middle of roads the wrong way, not looking, etc. And then there are young kids who not only ride on sidewalks, but ride really fast. I wonder why their parents arent' teaching THEM to be mindful of others.