Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Minor corrections...

Originally Posted by bboseley
Following is the way I understand it.

Front wheel: Release brake. Loosen the quick release adjustment nut. Release the quick release lever. Remove wheel.
If what you're stating is in order then you should release the quick release lever first before loosening the nut. You may not even have to loosen the nut. Many forks do come with "lawyer lips" so oftentimes a little twisting of the nut to get it clear of the little tabs is required.

Replacement: Drop wheel securely into slot. Tighten nut - or secure it might be more correct. Close lever. (Some resistance should be felt). Reengage brake release.
When tightening the nut, my rule of thumb is to also play with the QR lever. You don't want to fully tighten the nut before closing the lever since that may result in too much tension once the QR lever is fully closed. My rule of thumb for the correct "setting" of the nut is that you begin to feel resistance in the lever when it's parallel to the axle. Closing it with your thumb should produce enough resistance that it leaves a slight mark in your skin as it's being closed. I also try and line up the QR so that the lever is pointing to the rear or is parallel to the fork legs on the front and usually point in between the seatstay and chainstay in the rear.

Rear wheel. Same, but make sure to place chain on smallest sprocket. My terminology is still suspect.

Sound OK? Anything else I should know or look out for? The real wheel particularly concerns me.

Thanks again. I’m getting there.
For the rear wheel, you have the right idea. It can be a little tricky getting the wheel centered in the dropouts so one trick is to flip the bike over, grab the rear derailleur and swing it back and down. This should give you enough clearance and position things in a way as to allow you drop the wheel in easier. Also, it will center itself which much less effort.