Old 10-29-07, 08:01 PM
Strong Bad
ride lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I took my ZX3 out for its maiden voyage this afternoon. Just 14 miles but included one 15% ascent and descent. The rest was substantial rolling hills. Mine is Dura Ace equipped with a traditional double setup and it has the Easton EC90 SLX fork.

Fit: I am 5'10" and I am glad I got the 55 cm frame. Fit from pedal to saddle is just right -- so long as I have the seatpost at its maximum insertion mark. Fit from saddle to bar is somewhat closer than with my older road bike (an '05 Schwinn Fastback Pro). At first, this dimension felt unusually small. I definitely would not have been happy with a 53cm frame. It would have felt tiny.

Handling: Very nice. The frame absorbs a lot of the major bumps while still providing excellent road feel. Far better bump absorption than with my aluminum/carbon Schwinn. The bike always felt nicely planted -- never jittery. When it came time to turn, the bike did exactly what I wanted it to do. Very neutral. More neutral, in fact, than my Schwinn Fastback Pro (which has the reputation of being an excellent-handling bike). I never had to think about turning -- the bike just followed my intentions. My tight turn-around at the end of the route was very smooth and stable. On the descent, the handling inspired confidence. It seems to be a good, strong, stiff frame -- all the power I put in went to the rear wheel.

Hardware: This is my first experience with Dura Ace after a few years of using Ultegra. What's the difference? The Dura Ace stuff shifts more cleanly and the drivetrain produces a lot less noise. Very slick. The impression of quality was pretty apparent. Dura Ace's in-line gear indicator is worthless. Throw it away. Other than that, I completely understand why Dura Ace costs more. The tactile feedback and the cleanliness of the shifts and trim are that much better. Will they both get you into the same gear? Absolutely. But Dura Ace does it with more confidence and authority. Also, the Dura Ace hoods are much more comfortable (to my hands) than my Ultegra hoods.

Traditional double vs. compact crank. Did I miss my compact crank? Not at all. (In part, this is because I went with a wider-ratio cassette with the new traditional crank.) I noticed a big difference, though, in the usability of the traditional double's ratios. I never had to shift the front derailleur unless I was 5 or 6 mph or more outside my normal cruising speed. After a few minutes of moving through rolling hills, I forgot which ring I was on in front.

All in all, the ZX3 is a keeper. Stable, responsive handling. A comfortable cockpit for my dimensions. And, it looks really cool. (I wonder how much I can get for the Schwinn.)
Good feedback. What's the rake on the SLX fork?