Thread: saddle
View Single Post
Old 10-30-07, 10:41 AM
GeoLes
Black La Lane

Bikes: EPX 303 (You probably never heard of it)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prendrefeu
Step 1:
Get your ass sized up. Find an LBS that has the Specialized Ass-O-Meter (no joke) that'll measure how wide your butt-bones are. Once you know that, you know what 'size' saddle to look for.

Step 2:
Knowing the 'width' of the saddle will help you find a good saddle. Now, it's a matter of you finding a saddle with the amount of padding you want, the weight/price ratio, and ultimately of the appropriate width for your physical dimensions.

Step 3:
Install saddle.

Step 4:
RIDE.

Before doing that, consider your current riding habits. Do you ride often? Long rides? If you suddenly began riding longer distances, expect some saddle discomfort. You can "develop you chops" by gradually increasing time in the saddle. Also consider your riding position. Is the bike properly fitted? How relaxed are you in riding postion. Tension will give you saddle discomfort too.

If you really believe a new saddle is the answer. You can take you own measurements (Warning, do this in the privacy of your home or your friends will never let you live it down".

Wear your bike shorts, place a piece of paper on a hard, flat surface. Sit on the paper, reach down and feel where your sit bones impact the flat surface. With a marker, carfully mark the location of your sit bones on the paper. Measure that distance and compare it with the sweet spot on any saddle you are considering. When I did that, to my suprise a narrow, harder saddle was ideal for me.

Remeber, take your time with the break -in period, so gradually increase your time in the saddle.