View Single Post
Old 08-01-04, 09:28 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross
I posted this in the road cycling thread as well as i wasnt sure what category this should come under, safety or road cycling.

Ive been riding a standard MTB for several years now for short journeys, and the 5 mile commute along a straight road into uni with a good cycle lane. I also enjoy going for rides (20-25 miles) to chill out, but always on the road. I'm getting a new bike, and i want to get a road bike as i want to increase my cycling activity ( longer distances, more frequently ). Obviously a road bike will increase my efficiency and speed, but are the rumours true that the thin tires make for less control and being prone to slipping over - i'm cautious about purchasing a road bike as i do have to deal with traffic often enough in my commute (around Brighton, UK) and i've never had an accident, can someone reassure me about the realities of a road bike in traffic. Cheers.
There are a lot of people on this forum who commute to work in traffic on road bikes. I think it depends in the road surfaces in your area. I wouldn't think of one on Queensland "roads", but others use them here quite happily. Of course, you could always grab a road bike to use only in dry weather, and keep your MTB as a wet weather bike.

P.S. I just merged the two threads in question. This was probably more suited to Advocacy and Safety anyway (IMHO), and it makes it easier to track the replies.

That is all.