View Single Post
Old 10-31-07, 03:32 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbrklyn
The Aluminum bikes available that year where essentially the Trek, KLeins and Cannondale. The tubes were thinner than those and the bike was actually lighter than a Trek. It wasn't a racing frame, no doubt. But for most peoples needs I think that is OK. At $800 it was $1200 less than a racing bike. However ultimately it was very soft and many riders at that time were socked into frame stiffness, especially that like Canandale. I had a Cannandale as well and it was like riding on cement bike. My teeth clattered after riding it.

I think what really caused it to stop being sold, however, was the Ironman line which replaced it in the price range for Centoriun. If they would have marketed as a Triathon Bike in the forst place, it would have likely sold better....and I say that having no idea of its sales figurers.

Ruben
The Trek's tubes were just slightly larger than the Facet but far closer to the Facet than a Cannondale or Klein. Of the 1986 models, Alan, Kettler and Vitus had aluminum frames with traditional size tubes. Centurion, Mangusta, Miyata Raleigh and Trek used slightly oversize tubes.

Weight wise, the Facet frame was heaviest of the Cannondale, Klein or Trek.

The Cannondale ride quality may not be to your liking, but they obviously did a very good job at determining the public's needs, as they sold them by the tens of thousands each year and are still in business.

Your Ironman theory is easily displaced as the Ironman line appeared a year before the Facet.