View Single Post
Old 11-02-07, 12:20 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by MrPolak
At low speeds when trying to balance a bike and make tight turns... which is about every time I ride. This is primarily an issue in an urban or off-road environment.
I always found that once my foot hit the front wheel a few times on a given bike somehow it just stopped happening. I am not sure what I do different, but after a bit of time on the bike I never touch the wheel with my foot, but also never do anything consciously to avoid it. Something in my subconscious just avoids it. I guess that doesn't happen for everyone.

Maybe some time on the bike in question will resolve the issue, but then again maybe not. I can see where a fixed gear might complicate this. It has been a few years since I rode fixed and I couldn't tell you if there was toe overlap on my fixie or not (I think there probably was), but I don't recall it being a problem.

I wonder if that is the same experience others who ride bikes with toe overlap have had or if they consciously compensate in some way? Just curious.

I guess none of that is particularly relevent to the original poster's question though.