Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
Lessons I learned this winter applied:

Studs are great. Buy some Nokians (both wheels) and be done. Yeah they're heavy and take some getting used to.

It'll rust. NOW. So I hose down my driveline with WD-40 just about daily. Others have their own methods. Get a spare chain in any case.

Fenders are a must. Have a little extra clearence and periodically spray 'em with silicone spray or cooking spray to reduce bits sticking.

Clipless are fine, just spray the mechanism along with everything else. I only had problems in deep 'mashed potatoes' snow.

Brakes: I run disk. Were I to run rim brakes, I'd experiment with having a small brush (handleless toothbrush, perhaps) clear the rim before braking. Just a thought.

I don't carry electronics except a WIRED cyclocomputer. Wireless got a bit dicey in the cold.

Some other things:
Up your light count and use di-electric grease on all electrical contacts. Seems to ward off problems and deal with the fact that cars aren't expecting you.
Get a helmet cover. Fenders or no, you'll be bathing in the road slop--head to toe.
Wear glasses all the time. For the same reason.

Anything else?
Good information above, but I'm confused on one issue: Helmet cover. When contacting several vendors, asking them if they offer helmet covers for their helments ... they all indicate that they do not provide helmet covers, and their responses tend to indicate that no cycling helmet vendor offers helmet covers.

It makes sense to make helmet covers, to conveniently cover the air vents. Where can you get helmet covers, and how would you know which helmet cover fits which helmet make (and size)?