View Single Post
Old 11-05-07, 12:33 PM
nmanhipot

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Langster Comp, 2005 Schwinn DBX Super Sport, 2004 Trek 5900 Superlight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
"Wheel killer" needs a new wheelset

I've broken 11 spokes this year on my cyclocross-commuter wheelset. I had the rear rebuilt with DT spokes and a Mavic CXP22 rim - 32-holes. The rim now has a nasty crack in it and I am going to need a new wheelset much sooner than later.

I think what killed my rim was running into a pothole. It seemed that once the wheel was rebuilt, it was doing OK until I hit this pothole back in September. Since then, I've replaced several spokes in the front and rear wheels and just recently noticed the crack in the rim.

I have broken just about every wheelset I've ever owned. I commute on descent/average roads year-round and need to have a set of 32 or 36-hole disc wheels built for the cross-commuter.

I'm thinking about Mavic CXP33's because of their stiffness, but I also know that they have "profiled" eyelets which do not have a rivet like a standard eyelet. I'm really, really, really tired of breaking spokes and finding cracks in my rims (cracked a rear Mavic Open Pro also) and want as close to a permanent solution as I can get. I'm leaning towards Chris King Hubs and, of course, will be using good spokes, but I really need to know if the Mavic 33's are subject to cracking, or if I should reduce spoke-count to 32 so I can use a DT 1.2 or a velocity deep V.